These are the detailed instructions and steps that I used to setup Audrey as a web server.
Here is what I am working with at home: 1 Linksys Wireless Router 1 Desktop PC 1 Audrey
network connection is Cable Modem.
I have one primary site running at home, ww.reject,net, I use a service called "No-IP" to handle my DNS. NO-IP is a service/application that runs on my desktop and looks for IP address changes, when my ip changes, it updates the no-ip DNS server with my new ip address. This costs me 24.99 per year and gives me full control over DNS records, MX records, etc.
Why is this important?
- If your ISP is blocking port 80, you can still host sites at home
- able to create 3rd level domain names, web redirects and mx records on the fly.
Enough of that. So, as I stated earlier www.reject.net is running at home on port 80. The Linksys router is using port forwarding and sending att http:// requests to my web server.
First I created a 3rd level domain (audrey.reject.net) through the no-ip control panel. Also created a mx record for it so I can have a different email address for the Audrey. Anywho, I then changed the audrey.reject.net name to a web redirect. This taked the request for http://audrey.reject.net and forwards it to a specific URL, which in this case will be http://myipaddress:8080/welcome.html. The important part here is the :8080, we'll get to that in a second. Before I made any changes on the Audrey, I had to configure the Linksys reouter to forward att port 8080 requests to the Audrey (which has been configured with a static ip address of 192.168.1.103) so now, http://audrey.reject.net automatically forwards to http://myipaddress:8080/welcome.html. The router grabs the request and forwards it to the ipaddress using port 8080. Cool.
Now to setup Audrey to listen on that port. I found an article from 1999 on Google on how to modify the Slinger configs (slinger is the QNX web server compnenet) I modified the rm-apps file to read rb,/kojak/kojak-slinger,-p 8080 -c -e -s, which forces slinger to listen on port 8080 and not 80. Done. Cool. So the only thing left was to map a drive to my windows pc, and copy over a web page or two and some images. i put the files in the /data/xml directory and whamo! Audrey is serving pages on the world wide web. Woohoo!
I would love to hear from anyone who has done similar/cooler things or would like to work on a project using this technique. email me @ email@example.com. Oh, and for the email part, I setup a email(pop3) server on the web server and pointed the mx record to my ip address, then port forwarding is taken care of by the router.